Sunday, June 10, 2012

Language Barrier

Mom and Dad would be so proud. No matter how much I wanted to, not once on the plane did I sing to my iPod music out loud. I've come so far. But I can't deny the occasional mouthing of the lyrics. And the slight sway of the head to the beat. I can't help it! Plane rides are so odious. (Except for those sweet Euro 2012 games I watched on the first plane. (Netherlands, ya let me down)) But alas, I'm alive and well in Peru!! Just getting all together and getting to know the group more, it's been fun! I just hope I make it through the weeks I'll be here. It'd be a straight up lie if I said I was comfortable speaking Spanish. At all. I can pick up bits and pieces here or there but all in all I feel like I'm back in the days of my youth. Clinging to others for dear life as I venture out into the world. I can't help but reflect on our family's trip to Europe and how every 5 seconds we'd turn to my French-speaking father for guidance. Yes, I should have put in more of an effort in the last month brushing up on Espanol... or I should have at least bought a Spanish book to read on the plane. But hey! I've been fine the first 3 hours, what could go wrong?! Just worried for when I'll be "working" (not sure what that entails yet) in Trujillo.... I may be in trouble. This is definitely my most dreaded fear at the moment. Being lost and alone in the city yelling, "Donde estas me amigos!!" Which would be scary because that's one of the few phrases I even know. And I'm not even sure if it's gramatically correct! I could be laughed at by all of Peru. How embarrassing. But enough of that!

Here I am in Lima!! It's our first night here and I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty fun! Driving through the city, for the short time we did, got me super excited!! There were some cool statues and stores we drove past, and the beach! And of course I saw my one and only true love... a soccer field. More like a futsol field, but you get the point. All I want to do is go play now!! But tomorrow we have a fun filled day of seeing Lima and then off to Trujillo on Monday! Pictures to come of Lima next time! All is well here and I'm just excited to learn as much as I can about this awesome place!

No comments:

Post a Comment