Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Trujillo

Loving Trujillo. Got to meet the Mayor yesterday, so that was super cool! He's not only the mayor, but also the founder of the successful university, and the President of the University. Apparently he's running for President of Peru in a few years and is pretty confidant he'll win. So it was really neat! I've pretty much got all the hook ups in Peru now. haha After that we explored the town square which is kind of a drastic difference from the rest of Trujillo. It's very interesting and separate from the rest of the city. But I loved the colors and architecture and the amazing churches! It's also amazing because Trujillo was the first Peruvian city to gain independence! Today was like my favorite day in my whole life. We went to a school for little kids with the nursing students here and helped teach the kids how to wash their hands!! They were sooooo adorable. Now I know how my sister felt about wanted to not come home when she went to Ecuador because she wanted to spend all her time with them. This may sound churchy of me, but you can really see the light of Christ through each and every one :) So pure and innocent, recently taken from heaven and sent here. I loved them! I used what little Spanish I know to tell one that I had her same name or that I have a sister that's 5 years old.  It's been amazing here and I've loved getting to know the nursing students and the administration at the university! They all say we're so "bonita" (pretty) but really they are so much more gorgeous. They all have such beautiful hair and skin  and I'm in love with their chocolate eyes. We also get stared at. A lot. I don't think Trujillo sees many tourists around. I just try and make it fun and say Hola to them or wave at los ninos. :) Tonight we went to a dance/music concert put on by the University for Fathers day! It was great! We sat in the back and one of the ladies there brought us up toward the front and the next thing I know we're on the front row!! I feel so undeserving! I don't think I'm much into getting all of the attention turned to us. Even Caesar (the Mayor) showed up towards the end and greeted us all with hugs and hand shakes! It's a huge honor. I just don't feel that deserving!

. Tomorrow I think our schedule entails taking around surveys about the general public health and see what communities are facing what sort of health issues and gathering some data! It's been definitely an eye-opening experience here to what the rest of the world is like, but I've loved learning so much about the Peruvian culture and the people. I'm sorry I don't have many pictures on this blog, but it's near impossible to upload them at our hotel! I've tried many a times! haha












No comments:

Post a Comment