Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Pizza.


Yesterday my mom and I went shopping at Gateway mall. As you walk through this outdoor mall you sometimes see some homeless people sitting by the curb. Yesterday I saw a man who was all bundled up, had no teeth, and looked poorer than anything and something just hit me. We go by these people every day and think, "well gee that's sad, but if I give them money they might just use it to buy drugs or alcohol with and they might not even be poor at all...maybe next time". Well sometimes we don't leave it to next time. We use repeated excuses and judgmental views to just get by without feeling awkward. We have no right to judge these people. And if they do use our money for bad things then that's on them. We can't control their choices but we can control ours and our decision to act. It is better to give than to judge and end up not giving.  So yesterday all of these things went through my mind as I passed this black man with no teeth. I looked at him and just passed by feeling awful at my inaction. Then I stopped my mom and told her to wait a second and I turned around and gave that man the last half of my coveted CPK pizza I was saving for later. I didn't really know what to say cuz I'm quite shy around strangers so I just said Merry Christmas! I could see in his eyes that he appreciated it a whole lot he said thank you and some other things I couldn't understand from his accent/tone of voice. Then I turned and walked away. That was the best feeling I've had in a long time. Better than taking a long hot tub break. Better than getting a good score on any test. Better than seeing that first good snowfall. Better than anything. Giving that pizza helped me more than it helped that man and I can be sure of that! And it was just a pizza! I am so blessed. I can't be more thankful for everything I have in my life. My family, the gospel, friends, a home, food, a bed, etc. Everything! How lucky am I? Too lucky. It's not fair that I get all of these blessings and that man is there on the corner of Gateway Mall every day. I really learned a lesson yesterday that I hope will stay with me forever. Whenever you see someone, anyone in need, don't hesitate to help. No matter what. And the Christmas season is the perfect time to be reminded of that amazing lesson :)

3 comments:

  1. That's really great, Emily. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i may have just cried reading that... you are amazing em! thanks for being a great example to me. love you girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Emily :) You should come down to Peru. There would be so many opportunities for you to give people your half eaten Pizza. We need people like you down here :)

    ReplyDelete